Monday, March 19, 2012

RabbitStick Week, March 9-14

TrailWalkers: Mark, Chema, Dan, Grace


Me playing the guitar at Final D

Getting out there on Friday was no sweat. We got out there early enough to gather some materials for making fire and skills, and as it turns out everything we needed was within 50 yards of our camp - which has never happened before. We all had a great time talking around the fire before eventually going to bed around 10pm.

On Saturday we had an unexpected long  hike. It was supposed to be a simple 1-mile hike to a nice river where we would camp for the next two days but somehow I ended up leading the group the wrong direction. Yep, the WRONG direction. That's never happened to me before. I checked the GPS and maps and I thought we had over-shot our destination so we curved back around. I don't know whether I read the GPS numbers wrong or what, but we seemed to be making little progress and hiking a lot. Anyways, the hike ended up being double what we estimated it would be - so not too bad of a mix up - but it was still a long hike for our YoungWalker on their first day.

That night we dry-camped, exhausted and pretty close to a dirt road. Feeling hungry and tired, we just went to bed right when the sun was down. However, it was a beautiful night, and the stars seemed extra bright. Despite some complaints about the long hike, we were all in good spirits. We went to bed knowing that our only goal the next day was to find a nice spot next to the river.

Saturday night I had some interesting dreams. One was about a lady who was riding a motorcycle. She was independent, strong spirited, and wise. She had stopped her bike next to me to give me some advice. I don't know what she said but it was obvious she was there to help me. I thought it was pretty cool, and I think I may have also had a motorcycle of  my own. I think she may have represented my feelings towards my mom. Because my mom is a strong spirited independent person who takes the time to help out her kids. Then, after that dream I had another one. It was about a guy who was in a suit  and had long hair. Though I didn't recognize him it was apparent that we had known each other for a while. He was saying goodbye to me and was walking into a room and attempting to close the door behind him. I kept saying that it didn't have to be that way, but he said we would get caught and be in trouble if we associated with each other, so he had to do this for my protection. But he did say that he loved me and that he had to go because he wasn't allowed to see me anymore. I didn't have any previous memories with this dude, but I remember thinking it didn't have to be that way, that we could still see each other. But that apparently was no longer an option. I feel like this character represented my dad. The final impression I got was that he did love me even though I think he could do more. But his capacity for it is full and it is important that I understand that.

Sunday morning felt fresh and the sky was clear - welcoming a new day. Our YoungWalker asked a lot about "how much further" - obviously hoping not to have another 5-hour hike. This time I knew right where we were so our hike was really short. Within an hour of hiking we had found the river, and a sweet camping spot to go along with it. It also happened to be the same camping spot my fellow TrailWalker had stayed at 4 months before.

Before we started hiking though I found what appeared to be a petrified carrot. Yep, thought it was a cool orange rock but after picking it up I could see the details that looked exactly like a carrot. I've contacted the local Archaeology Museum to see if they would be interested in it, but so far I keep getting passed on to different people. When I hear back from them about it I'll be sure to tell ya if it has any real significance. Here is a picture of that carrot:


Sunday was a quick hike to the river, and then we found a nice camping spot. We spent the day reading, getting to know each other, and working on skills. I laid down in the dirt next to our fire. There's something really special about that. It's a simple thing that won't make sense just hearing about. But I've come to realize that when I'm completely comfortable lying in the dirt, then I am at complete peace with planet Earth. This idea goes though my head that I'm literally using the entire planet as my resting place. I like to imagine all the little details of our planet - the millions of people, insects, plants, rock formations and water. That by laying down and touching the Earth I am also touching everything else that is connected to it. And no matter how tired or hungry or dirty I am, it makes me feel instantly at peace.

I spent the day writing about things on my mind, fixing my pack frame, and drinking lots of water to make up for dry camping the night before. I wrote about my new website idea "WordPress Logic" which will be simple WordPress hosting for anyone. I found out what I need to change on my pack frame so it won't be as uncomfortable. And after a long nap I was feeling my energy coming back again. 

Monday morning we woke up and finished our RabbitStick steppings. Our RabbitStick had finished all of their skills and they were ready to go into the BadgerStone group. We learned that our group hadn't arrived to Final D yet, so we hiked in and set up camp first. The hike was super easy - just down the river for 3/4 mile - maybe 30 minutes max.

I agreed to stay out until Wednesday so I said goodbye to my fellow TrailWalker, and welcomed 2 new ones who drove out to join us until the girls group arrived (turns out the girls group arrived on Tuesday).

I'm glad I stayed out. I ended up moving to the boys band and seeing all those guys whose RabbitSticks I did in previous weeks. It's like watching your own kids grow up in a way. I get to see their first days on the trail and now they're all ANASAZI gurus. 

I hope that wherever I go in life, that I can always keep the spirit of Anasazi with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment